Archive for April 29th 2012

So I have about 2500 books on my Kindle Keyboard, it’s barely using half the 4GB flash space, but I’ve started to get dialogue boxes telling me to delete things from ‘Home’ to make more memory available.

My first thought was to delete any books I’m not likely to read and download them to my Kindle for PC app instead. But I went to the archived books in Kindle for PC assuming I could CTRL+A to select them all and then mass-download them and… I can’t. I have to go through five hundred books manually selecting download on each one. I went to my Kindle account on Amazon and… have to go through five hundred books manually selecting a menu option and then selecting which Kindle to download to. Is there any way to tell it to download everything that’s not already downloaded?

Then I went back to the Kindle itself. The obvious books to delete are the oldest ones that I haven’t read or put in a collection to read. But there are over 200 pages and there doesn’t seem to be any ‘go to the last page’ option, I’d have to click through over 200 pages to get to the least recently opened books. Is there any way to do that?

Of course at that point it appears I have to go through three screens to delete each one so that will still take hours. I could delete the oldest files via USB, but then I’d also lose any old files that I have put in a collection.

Have Amazon just never considered that someone might actually want to fill up the 4GB of flash that they give you in the Kindle?

I honestly don’t know, but it’s about three hundred times too many. I don’t know what the problem is, but just about anything that remotely taxes the CPU seems able to lock it up, such as trying to download too many e-books at once, or connecting it to my laptop with the USB cable to copy files over.

It’s a good device when it works, but it’s very unreliable. So much so that I’ve had to create a new page listing things that suck about it.

I thought I might as well add some of my old posts from my travels in the 90s to this blog; they were on my long-lost web site at that time and have sat unread on my laptop for years. Since I’m retaining the old dates as I convert them over to this format, you’ll find them all in the travel category. Note that I’ve only made minor edits to the most egregious flaws, so they aren’t as well written as they might be today.

At the time I took just over six months off work, bought a round the world plane ticket and travelled wherever it would take me that sounded interesting. Along the way I visited various people I knew from the Internet, which was an interesting way to see the local culture. I took along a laptop running Slackware Linux and a Hi-8 video camera, though at times I wished I’d left the extra weight behind.

For email I sometimes had Internet access through the people I was visiting, but most of the time I was composing it on my laptop, copying the messages to a floppy disk and then uploading them to my server which would forward the messages to the appropriate people. I could also email these travel updates to the server and have it automatically format them into HTML and add them to the web site, while forwarding them to a mailing list of friends.

Back in those days this was a lot more complex and a lot more high-tech than writing a blog from your cell phone in Tahiti is today. Some of the original images were lost years ago and the versions I uploaded were typically 320 pixels at most due to the low bandwidth links of that era, so I can’t replace them. I will upload the images I have in high resolution form.

I’ll try to add two or three posts a week until it’s done, but there are a lot of them and they need reformatting so it will take some time.

So my RAID resync got a read error about 80% of the way through, and despite saying that the sync was complete the server has dropped the good disk from the RAID again. This is both stupid and incredibly annoying; if one disk has a read error then it’s the last one I would want to be active in the RAID, and a RAID1 with one disk and a spare is useless.

Looks like I’ll have to order two new disks, copy the data over from the failing disk to a new one and then build a new RAID array. What a pain in the ass.

I’m often puzzled by the people I meet on the Internet who claim that Apple has taken over the phone world with the iPhone, because they only make up a tiny percentage of the phones I see for sale and no-one I know has one.

Here’s an interesting article on the subject:

Samsung overtakes Nokia in mobile phone shipments

Apple make up less than 10% of the world’s phone sales, while Samsung and Nokia account for around 25% each.

Now, I’m sure that Apple make a lot more profit on those phones, but they’re far from the largest phone supplier in the world. In America, perhaps.