Finally got around to upgrading from 15 as it’s now end of life. I tried the suggested method to upgrade without having to reinstall:
Upgrade Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) to Linux Mint 16 (Petra)
But that failed horribly. The system would boot, but the MDM couldn’t find its theme; I could log in from a console and start the X server myself, but half the MATE applets were missing. Any attempt to fix it by uninstalling MATE and reinstalling ran into a load of conflicts.
So, eventually, I gave in and just reinstalled from scratch.
Three things I’ve noticed so far:
1. Logging in takes about ten times as long as before.
2. Automounter takes about ten seconds to mount an NFS partition.
3. Cardo font is completely screwed up in LibreOffice 4.1. I suspect this is a known bug that’s fixed in 4.2, so I’m going to have to manually install that.
Nope, Cardo is hosed. I’ve had to fight through all the crap required to setup a bugzilla account, and report the bug: